WELCOME, WRITERS

If you've come to this blog, you're probably already a competent writer--or well on your way to becoming one. After all, the surest sign of a good writer is an eagerness to become an even better writer. Writing teachers are also welcome here.

This blog will offer advice on style, grammar, even such mundane matters as punctuation. Good writing is an art, yes, but it is also a craft, like quilting or carpentry or car repair. That means the ability to write is more than just an inborn talent; it is also a skill that can be learned.

Over the years, folks have paid me a lot of money for my writing and for my advice about writing. I've been a senior editor at the New York Times Magazine Group, and I've published hundreds of magazine articles myself.
I've taught writing at several universities—most recently Virginia Tech. Corporations like FedEx have hired me to teach their executives how to write better. (Note to teachers: Many of my blog posts originated as lesson plans. Feel free to use them in your own classes.)

Now retired from full-time work, I still teach writing seminars, for free, to worthy nonprofits.

Given all this, I suppose I'm qualified to offer some suggestions about the subject of writing. Much of what I say here has been said in other places--especially in fine books like Strunk and White's The Elements of Style and Donald Hall's Writing Well. You should read those books. Meanwhile, I hope you find some of the advice on this blog useful.

Friday, February 4, 2011

THE “ONLY” GAME IN TOWN: Where you place the adverb can make all the difference

Adverb placement can be a matter of life and death.


     Can you see the difference in meaning between the first and second sentence in the following pairs?

a) I only kissed the red-haired girl.
b) I kissed only the red-haired girl.

a) I nearly drank six ounces of poison.
b) I drank nearly six ounces of poison.

a) I almost killed a hundred people.
b) I killed almost a hundred people.

a) I just implied that she is fat.
b) I implied just that she is fat.


     I can almost always tell merely competent writers from really first-rate writers by whether they pay attention to the placement of the words “only,” “nearly,” “almost,” and “just” in their sentences.
     Here’s the rule: Place the limiting  adverb “only,” “nearly,” “almost,” or “just” immediately before the word it is truly meant to limit; otherwise, your reader may misunderstand you.



Adverb placement will affect your relationship with the red-haired girl.

     Look again at the pairs of sentences at the beginning of this post.

a) “I only kissed the red-haired girl.” Here “only” limits the word it immediately precedes: “kissed.” The sentence is therefore saying that you kissed the girl, but you didn’t do anything else to her; you didn’t caress her, molest her, or chomp on her neck like a vampire.
b) I kissed only the red-haired girl. Here “only” limits the phrase it immediately precedes: “red-haired girl.” The sentence is therefore saying that she is the only girl you kissed; you didn’t kiss the blonde, the brunette, or the bald zombie girl.

a) “I nearly drank six ounces of poison.” Here “nearly” puts limits on the word it immediately precedes: “drank.” The sentence is therefore saying that you almost drank some poison, but you didn’t do any drinking of poison at all. No need to call Poison Control.
b) I drank nearly six ounces of poison. Uh oh. This sentence says you did drink poison—almost six ounces worth! You’re in for a date with the emergency room doctor.

a) I almost killed a hundred people. Again, the limiting adverb “almost” modifies the verb it immediately precedes: “killed.” The sentence implies that you didn’t kill anyone, necessarily. Perhaps your accident in chemistry class had the potential to be deadly, but no one in fact died.
b) I killed almost a hundred people. In this sentence, people are dead—nearly a hundred of them. Expect to go to trial.

a) I just implied that she is fat. In this sentence, you didn’t come right out and state that she is fat. You just implied it. (And I think you’re weaseling.)
b) I implied just that she is fat. In this sentence, the only thing you implied is that she is fat. You didn’t imply that she is dim, shallow, or diseased. Obesity seems to be your only fixation. [Note how the sentence changes yet again if you move "just" to immediately in front of "she."]


At this point, I hope you understand the rule from the examples. Let me repeat: Place the word “only,” “nearly,” “almost,” or “just” immediately before the word or phrase you actually mean to limit.

The next time you read on the sports pages that “The Knicks have only won 14 games,” you should know that the writer is almost certainly being careless with his "only." How would you fix the sentence? (Note: The context makes it clear what the sportswriter means, so his version isn’t a terrible error. It’s just annoying to us grammar Nazis.)

Which story do you think deserves a headline: “MAN ALMOST  EATS  AN ENTIRE CAR” or “MAN EATS ALMOST AN ENTIRE CAR”?

(By the way, there are apparently true accounts of people who have ground up automobiles and eaten them entirely. Grammar can’t compete with that, so I’ll end here.)


Did this man nearly eat 1,500 light bulbs, or did he eat nearly 1,500 light bulbs?









1 comment:

  1. If you work in an office, you will obviously meet lots of different types of people during your day to day duties. Whether you work on a small team in a small office, or a team in a big office with other companies, there will always be 10 types of people which can be found in every single office.

    if you want more just look here "job by jobschampions"

    ReplyDelete